Proximal End of Femur: A Morphometric Study in a Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital
October - December 2017 | Vol 3 | Issue 4 | Page : 110-112
Pravin Jayram Tayde1, Suhasini Pravin Tayde2*
1 Associate Professor, Department of Forensic Medicine; 2Assistant
Professor, Dept. of Anatomy; SMBT Institute of Medical Sciences & Research Centre,
Dhamangao, Tal Igatpuri, Distt. Nashik, Maharashtra, India.
How to cite this article: Tayde PJ, Tayde SP. Proximal End of Femur:
A Morphometric Study in a Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital. Int Arch BioMed Clin
Introduction: Femur bone can be used for anthropometric analysis
in the cases of unidentified parts if available. As it is very difficult to identify
sex by an individual bone. Therefore this study was done to calculate a range of
anthropometric parameters of the proximal end of dried femora for sex determination.
Methods: The study was carried out on undamaged, dried, non-pathological350
dried femora of both sexes at Anatomy at SMBT Institute of Medical Sciences and
Research Centre, Nashik. Total length of femur, vertical diameter of Neck, vertical
diameter of Head measured through osteometric board and Vernier caliper. Result:
The outcome was statistically significant. All bones were found to be symmetrical.
Conclusion: P value of present study point towards symmetrical
femora. Femoral length were next best sex discriminatory parameter after Vertical
diameter of Head.
Keywords:Femoral Length, Vertical Diameter of Neck, Vertical Diameter of
Head, Central Indian
- Daniel J Westcott. Effect of Mobility of Femur Midshaft External shape and robusticity.
American Journal of Physical Anthropology 130:201-213 (2006).
- Frost HM. Bone “mass” and the “mechanostat”: a proposal. Anat Rec.1987 sep;219(1):1-9.
- Siwach RC, Dahiya S. Anthropometric study of proximal femur geometry and its clinical
application. Indian Journal of Orthopaedics 2003;37(4): 247-251.
- Noble PC, Jerry W, Alexander JW et al. The anatomical basis of femoral component
design. Clinical Orhp 1998;235:148 165.
- Gnudi, S; Ripamonti, C; Lisi L; Fini M. ; Giardino R. & Giavaresi G. Proximal femur
geometry to detect and distinguish femoral neck fracture from trochanteric fractures
in post-menopausal women. Osteoporos. Int., 13:69-73, 2002.
- Luo, Y.C. Sex determination from the pubis by discriminant function analysis. Forens.
Sci. Int. 1995; 74:89-98.
- Asala, S.A., Mbajiorgu, F.E. and Papandro, B.A. A comparative study of femoral head
diameter and sex differentiation in Nigerians. Acta Anatomica. 1998; 162:232-237.
- Hsiao, T.H., Chang, H.P. and Liu, K.M. Sex determination by discriminant function
analysis of lateral radiographic cephalometry. J. Forens. Sci. 1996; 41:792-795.
- Anju KR. Deshwal, Apoorva Tripathi, Supriti Bhatnagar. Comparative measurement of
diameter of femoral head in population of western Uttar Pradesh. International journal
of scientific research. Vol :2, Issue -12, December 2013, 437-439.
- Akhtari Afroze, M Durrul Huda. Femoral Head Diameters and Sex Differentiation in
the Northern Zone (Rajshahi) of Bangladesh. TAJ 2005; 18(2): 84-88.
- P.S. IGBIGBI and B.C. MSAMATI. Sex Determination from Femoral Head Diameters in
Black Malawians. East African Medical Journal Vol. 77 No. 3 March 2000.
- Singh, S.P. and Singh, S. The sexing of adult femora: demarking points for Varanasi
zone. Indian Med. Gaz. 1972; 11: 45-49.
- Urvik C. Kukadiya, Tulsibhai C. Singel, Pratik N. Trivedi, Jayesh K. Rathava, Vidya
K. Satapara, Dilip V. Gohil, Mital M. Patel. Sex determination from vertical diameter
of femoral head in Gujarati population. International Journal of Advanced Research
(2014), Volume 2, Issue 6, 859-863.
- Pandya A M, Singel T C, Akbari V J, Dangar K P, Tank K C4, Patel M P. Sexual dimorphism
of maximum femoral Length. National journal of medical research. Vol 1 Issue 2 Oct
– Dec 2011: ISSN 2249 4995.
- Pavel Timonov, Antoaneta Fasova, Dobrinka Radoinova, Alexandar Alexandrov, and Delian
Delev. A study of sexual dimorphism in the femur among contemporary Bulgarian population.
Euras J Anthropol 5(1):46?53, 2014.
- Meera Jacob R. Avadhani Bindhu. S. Maximum Femoral Length and Bicondylar Width as
a Tool for Sexual Dimorphism. PARIPEX - INDIAN JOURNAL OF RESEARCH. Volume : 2 |
Issue : 8 | Aug 2013.
- Hema Nidugala, Bhagya Bhaskar, Sucharitha Suresh, Ramakrishna Avadhani. Metric Assessment
of Femur Using Discriminant Function Analysis in South Indian Population. Int J
Anat Res 2013, Vol 1(2):29-32. ISSN 2321- 4287.