Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology: A Reliable Tool for Diagnosis of Spectrum of Breast Lesions in a Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital
October - December 2017 | Vol 3 | Issue 4 | Page : 106-109
Amulya Singh1*, Sunil Kumar2
1Senior Resident; 2Specialist, Department of Clinical Pathology, Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narayan Hospital, Delhi Gate, Nehru Marg, Daryaganj, New Delhi
How to cite this article: Singh A, Kumar S. Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology: A Reliable Tool for Diagnosis of Spectrum of Breast Lesions in a Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital. Int Arch BioMed Clin Res. 2017;3(4):106-109.
Introduction: Breast or mammary gland is under the influence of hormones resulting in physiological changes throughout reproductive life and thereafter various structures give rise to different lesions. FNAC can be used as an OPD procedure in diagnosis of breast lesions without the need to hospitalize the patient.
AIM: To study the spectrum of breast lesions.
Methods: Breast Lump is the commonest presenting symptom in various types of Breast lesions ranging from inflammation to carcinoma.
Result : The most common lesion encountered in our study on FNAC was fibroadenoma (47.07%) followed by benign proliferative mammary lesion (Commonly fibrocystic disease) 29.47%. Tuberculous mastitis was 11%. Malignancy was 11.19%.
Conclusion: Benign breast lesions form the bulk in this study and fibroadenoma is the most common lesion. FNAC is useful and reliable in early diagnosis of neoplastic and non-neoplastic lesions avoiding the need of biopsy. It has an important role in rural and semi-urban areas with fewer facilities and for the poor.
Keywords: Breast, Benign, FNAC, Fibroadenoma, carcinoma, gynaecomastia.
Strax P. Detection of breast cancer. Cancer 1990; 66: 13361340
- Al Kaisi N. The spectrum of gray zone in breast cytology. A review of 186 cases of atypical and suspicious cytology. Acta Cytol.1994; 38:898-908.
- Farkhanda JD, Muhammad SA, Ahsan AL, Noor MK, Imtiaz S, Zulfiqar IM. An early diagnosis of benign breast diseases. Journal of Surgery, Pakistan 2010; 15(4):74-78
- Godwins E, David D, Akeem J. Histopathologic analysis of benign breast diseases in Makurdi, North Central Nigeria. International Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences. 2011; 3(5): 125-128.
- Haque, Tyagi, Khan and Gahlut. Breast lesions: a clinico histopathological study of 200 cases of breast lump. JAMA 1980;150: 1810-1814.
- Muddegowda PH, Lingegowda JB, Kurpad R, PG Konapur, AS Shivarudrappa and PM Subramaniam. The value of systematic pattern analysis in FNAC of breast lesions: 225 cases with cytohistological correlation. J Cytol 2011; 28(1): 13-19.
- Chandanwale S, Rajpal M, Jadhav P, Sood S, Gupta K, Gupta N. Pattern of benign breast lesions on FNAC in consecutive 100 cases: a study at tertiary care hospital in India IJPBS 2013;4:129-138
- Baptist SJ, Thomas JA and Kothare SN. Lesions of the breast. J. Indian Med. Assoc 1973; 61(3): 127-131.
- M Kumar, K Ray, S Harode, DD Wagh. The Pattern of Benign Breast Diseases in Rural Hospital in India, East and Central African Journal of Surgery 2010; 15:.59-64
- Adesunkanmi, A.R., E.A. Agbakwuru, Benign breast disease at Wesley Guild Hospital, Ilesha, Nigeria. West Afr. J. Med.2001; 20: 146 -51.
- Catherine Goehring and Alfredo Morabia. Epidemiology of Benign Breast Disease, with Special Attention to Histologic Types. Epidemiol Rev 1997;19: 310-327.
- Malik R, Bhardwaj VK; Breast lesions in young females. A 20-year study for significance of early recognition. Indian J Pathol Microbiol., 2003; 46(4): 559-562.
- Jyoti Priyadarshini Shrivastava, Alok Shrivastava. “Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology of Breast Lumps with Clinical and Histopathological Correlation: A 2 Year Study in Gwalior, India”. Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences 2015; 4: 9729-9734.
- Chandanwale SS, Gupta K, Dharwadkar AA, Pal S, Buch AC, Mishra N. Pattern of palpable breast lesions on fine needle aspiration: A retrospective analysis of 902 cases. J Midlife Health. 2014 Oct-Dec; 5(4): 186–191
- Coen P, Kulin H, Ballantine T, Zaino R, Frauenhoffer E, Boal D, et al. An aromatase-producing sex-cord tumour resulting in prepubertal gynaecomastia. N Engl J Med. 1991;324:317–22
- Predictions - Globocan – iarc globocan. iarc. fr/ Pages/ burden_sel.aspx
- Pradhan M, Dhakal HP. (2008). Study of breast lumps of 2,246 cases by fine needle aspiration. J Nepal Med Assoc, 47, 205-9.
- Mayun AA, Pindiga UH, Babayo UD (2008). Pattern of histopathological diagnosis of breast lesions in Gombe, Nigeria. Niger J Med; 17: 159-62.
- Khan S, Kapoor AK, Khan IU, et al (2003). Prospective study of pattern of breast diseases at Nepalgunj medical college (NGMC). Nepal Kathmandu Univ Med J, 1, 95-100.
- Balkrishna B Yeole, AP Kurkure. An Epidemiological Assessment of Increasing Incidence and Trends in Breast Cancer in Mumbai and Other Sites in India, During the Last Two Decades Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, Vol 4, 2003;51-56.