Use of Indian Date and Vitamin B-3 to Reduce Blood Pressure and to Raise HDL-Cholesterol
April-June 2017 | Vol 3 | Issue 2 | Page :108-110
Shah Murad1*,Khalid Niaz2,Hina Aslam 2
3Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacology, Islamabad Medical and Dental College, Islamabad-Pakistan
How to cite this article: Murad S, Niaz K, Aslam H. Use of Indian Date and Vitamin B-3 to Reduce Blood Pressure and to Raise HDL-Cholesterol. Int Arch BioMed Clin Res. 2017;3(2):108-110.DOI:10.21276/iabcr.2017.3.2.24
Background: Coronary artery disease is a complex syndrome to get initiation from formation of atherosclerotic plaques in systemic circulation to cardiac arrhythmia causing morbidity/mortality. This study was conducted to compare hypolipidemic effects of Niacin and Indian date (Jujuba) in hyperlipidemic patients.
Methods: Study was conducted from July 2015 to December 2015 at National Hospital Lahore-Pakistan. Sixty participants were enrolled of both gender male and female patients age range from 25 to 60 years. Consent was taken from all patients. They were divided in two groups. Group-I was advised to take 2 grams Niacin in divided doses for the period of two months. Group-II was advised to take 500 grams of fruit Jujube daily for the period of two months. All patients’ systolic and diastolic blood pressure was noted. Their baseline LDL and HDL cholesterol was determined by conventional method of measuring Lipid Profile.
Results: After two months therapy, their post treatment blood pressure and lipid profile was measured and mean values with ± SEM were analyzed biostatistically. Group-I which was on Niacin their blood pressure was reduced but it was non-significant change, LDL cholesterol decreased significantly and HDL cholesterol was increased significantly. In group-II patients LDL cholesterol was decreased significantly but HDL increase was not significant with p-value of >0.05.
Conclusions: It was concluded from the research work that Niacin is potent in lowering LDL and increasing HDL cholesterol, while Jujube has significant effect as LDL cholesterol lowering potential, but it does not increase HDL cholesterol significantly. Jujubes and vitamin B-3 did not reduced blood pressure, when analyzed statistically.
Keywords: Indian dates, Blood Pressure, Vitamin B-3
- S Nawaz, M Furqan, Z. A. Kuliev, Yu. A. Akhmedov, A. D. Vdovin, N. D. Abdullaev. Atherosclerosis and its complications. Chemistry of Natural Compounds 2012;33(2):165-73.
- Anbarasi Balakrishnan, Parimala Devi Balasubramaniyam, Senthil Kumar Natesan. Conventional therapies for dyslipidemia. J Adv Sci Res, 2013;3(3):40-3.
- Reza Afrisham, Mohammad Aberomand, Mohammad Ali Ghaffari, Amir Siahpoosh, and Mostafa Jamalan. Vitamin B-3: new considerations. Journal of Botany 2015;5(3):119-21.
- Mostafa UES and Labban L. Effect of Zizyphus jujuba on serum lipid profile and some anthropometric measurements. Advancement in Medicinal Plant Research 2013;1(3):49-55.
- Shah M, LF Juju, FF Jau, UI Lyme, KT Fauo, ML Panic. Phenolic compounds in Indian dates. Ethanobotanical J 2014;12(5):222-7.
- Daneshmand F, Zare-Zardini H, Tolueinia B, Hasani Z, Ghanbari T. Crude Extracts from Ziziphus Jujuba Fruits: new guidelines. Iranian Journal of Pediatric Hematology Oncology 2013;3(3):191-3.
- Bruckert E, Labreuche J, Amarenco P. Compliance of Indian dates when used in high amount. Atherosclerosis 2010;(2):353-61.
- Duggal JK, Singh M, Attri N, Singh PP, Ahmed N, Pahwa S, Molnar J, Singh S, Khosla S, Arora R. Hypotensive and hypolipidemic effects of Indian fruits. Journal of cardiovascular pharmacology and therapeutics 2013; 19(1):58–60.
- Manoj P, Shiv Kumar, K. G. Bhat. Effect of Indian date leaves extracts on phagocytosis. Journal of natural remedies 2014;4(1):47.51.
- ZQ Zhu, J.W. Chen, T.X. Hu, D.Y. Zhu. Niacin affects HDL-cholesterol and LDL cholesterol. Phytochemistry 2011;22:1667-72.
- . W Cao, B.N. Wang, H. Gao, M.T. Fan, J.B. Vitamin B-3 or Niacin for prevention of coronary artery disease. Plant Pharmacol 2011;61:703-7.
- WB Yao, H. Wang, X.D. Gao, G.C. Zhou, L. Cai. Niacin is important for healthy heart. Science of pharmacol 2011;10:122-7.
- Hung PJ, J. Wang, L.T. Li, Y. Dan. Vitamin B-3 for Atherosclerosis and its prevention. J. Food Chem 2011;10:21-4.
- Tan, N.H., Fan HG, Zhou, J. Jujube is Hypolipidemic Herb. Chem. Rev. 2007;106:840-5.
- Tripathi, M., Pandey, MB., Jha, RN., Pandey, VB., Tripathi, PN., Singh, JP. Cyclopeptide alkaloids from Zizyphus jujuba. Fitoterapia 2011;72:507–510.
- Tschesche, R., Khokhar, I., Wilhelm, H., Eckhardt, G. Jubanine-A and Jubanine-B. Alkaloids from Ziziphus jujuba have antioxident characteristics. Phytochemistry 2010;15;541-2.
- Um, S., Choi, T.J., Kim, H., Kim, B.Y., Kim, S.H., Lee, S.K., Oh, K.B., Shin, J. Hypolipidemic effects of Z Jujube. J. Org. Chem. 2013;78:321-29.
- KB Kang, JJ You, LL mumpycal, ST Simon. Z. Jujube is effective to reduce oxidation burden. Phytochemistry 2014;22(4):222-5.
- Loom viyu, PK Joshi, Roomyu L, Furquye Y. Indian dates and its compliance in human population. J ethanobotany 2014;4(4):123-9.
- A. Mohammad, S Mohammad, N Mohammad, N Abdullah. Indian fruits varieties and their characteristics in various therapies. Ir J of Nat Med 2013;12(1):444-9.