Evaluate Clinical Impact of Therapeutic Drug Monitoring of Phenytoin Monotherapy in Patient of Generalized Tonic Clonic Seizures
January - March 2017 | Vol 3 | Issue 1 | Page : 29-32
Monika Sahu1*, Saroj Kothari2, Sanjay Banjare1, Vidya Bhushan Sahu3, Dinesh Udenia4
1Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacology, Govt. Chhattisgarh Institute of Medical Science, Bilaspur (C.G.).
2Professor and Head of the Department of Pharmacology GRMC (Gajra-raja medical college) Gwalior (M.P);
3Assistant Professor in Department of ENT, Govt. Chhattisgarh Institute of Medical Science, Bilaspur (C.G.);
4Associate Professor and Head of the Department of Neurology GRMC (Gajra-raja medical college) Gwalior (M.P)
How to cite this article: Sahu M, Kothari S, Banjare S, Sahu VB, Udenia D. Evaluate Clinical Impact of Therapeutic Drug Monitoring of Phenytoin Monotherapy in Patient of Generalized Tonic Clonic Seizures Int Arch BioMed Clin Res. 2017;3(1):29-32.DOI:10.21276/iabcr.2017.3.1.9
Background: Epilepsy is one of the most common serious disorders of the brain, affecting about 50 million people worldwide, 80% of the burden of epilepsy is in the developing world. Therapeutic drug monitoring (TDM) is one of the major arms to maximize efficacy and minimize risk of overdosing. AIM: To compare clinical outcome between monitored and unmonitored dose of Phenytoin in patient of generalized tonic clonic seizure. Methods: Comparative study of 40 patients on phenytoin with therapeutic drug monitoring verses 40 patients on phenytoin without therapeutic drug monitoring of Generalized tonic clonic seizure were undertaken. For therapeutic drug monitoring, early morning sample (before taking morning dose) was collected, centrifuged, plasma separated and after that therapeutic level are monitored using HPLC. Sampling was done twice a month for one month than once a month for third and sixth month; samples were also taken abruptly in case of poor or no response to therapy, any adverse effect if noted or if any patient taking other medication in between. Evaluation of Efficacy is done by mean Seizure frequency reduction and comparison of side effect profile of the two groups.
Results: Statistically significant difference is seen in TDM and non-TDM Group at 3 and 6 months; with percent reduction of mean seizure frequency 85.44% in TDM group compared to 43.81% in non- TDM group. Conclusions: The results of this comparative evaluation after the collection of data and its analysis confirms clinical impact of therapeutic drug monitoring of phenytoin monotherapy in patients of generalized tonic clonic seizures.
Keywords: Therapeutic Drug Monitoring, Phenytoin, Seizures.
- Shorvon SD. Epidemiology, classification, natural history and genetics of epilepsy. Lancet 1990; 336:93–6.
- Hauser WA, Annegers JF, Kurland LT. Prevalence of epilepsy in Rochester, Minnesota: 1940–1980. Epilepsia 1991;32:429–45
- James O, Namare MC. Pharmacotherapy of Epilepsies. In Brunton LL, Chabner BA, Knollmann BC (eds). Goodman & Gilman's The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, 12 edn. Newyork: McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing division; 2011. Chapter 21.
- William R, Garnett and Pharm D. Epilepsy. In: Dipiro J, Robert L. Talbert, Matzre R, Wells G (eds). Pharmacotherapy a Pathophysiological approach. 3rd edn. Stamford: Appleton and Lange, A Simon and chuster, company; 1997: Chapter 55, pp. 1179-1207.
- Iain LO, Buxton and Benet L. Pharmacokinetics: The Dynamics of Absorption, Distribution, Metabolism and Elimination. In: Brunton LL, Chabner BA, Knollmann BC (eds). Goodman and Gillman’s The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics.12th edn. Newyork; McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing division: 2011. Chapter 2.
- Pippenger CE. Principles of Therapeutic Drug Monitoring. In: Steven Wong, (eds), Therapeutic Drug Monitoring and Toxicology by Liquid Chromatography, Marcal Deccar INC, Newyork, 1985, pp. 11-37
- Sivasankari V, Tharani CB, Gobinathan S. A clinical evaluation of therapeutic drug monitoring of phenytoin in epileptic patients in a tertiary care teaching hospital, Chennai, Tamilnadu: A randomized, open label comparative study. International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences. 2012 April – June; 3(2):271-280.
- Jannuzi G, Cian P, Fattore C, Gatti G, Bartoli A, Monaco F, Perucca E. A Multicenter Randomized Controlled Trial on the Clinical Impact of Therapeutic Drug Monitoring in Patients with Newly Diagnosed Epilepsy. Epilepsia 2000; 41(2):222-230.
- Rane CT, Dalvi SS, Gogtay NJ, Shah PU, Kshirsagar NA. A pharmacoeconomic analysis of the impact of therapeutic drug monitoring in adult patients with generalized tonic-clonic epilepsy. Clin Pharmacol 2001; 52: 193-195.