Evaluation of Liver Functional Test (LFT) and Kidney Functional Test (KFT) in Dengue Patients
January - March 2017 | Vol 3 | Issue 1 | Page : 25-28
1Senior Resident, Department of Biochemistry, PIMS Jalandhar, Punjab.
How to cite this article: Puri M. Evaluation of Liver Functional Test (LFT) and Kidney Functional Test (KFT) in Dengue Patients. Int Arch BioMed Clin Res. 2017;3(1):25-28.DOI:10.21276/iabcr.2017.3.1.8
Background: Dengue is an acute infection caused by an arbovirus in the Flavivirus genus, and the mosquito Aedes aegypti is the vector. Case fatality ratio in India is reported to be 3 to 5 percent. One of the least studies complications occurring in dengue is acute kidney injury (AKI) and liver abnormalities are few of the least studied complications of dengue. Hence, we planned the present study to assess the LFT and KFT in Dengue patients. Methods: The present study included assessment of 100 patients out of which 50 patients were found to be sero positive for dengue while rest 50 were found to be sero negative. Assessment of levels of aspartate aminotransferase (AST) and alanine aminotransferase (ALT), the degree of hepatic involvement was done in all the patients included in the present study. AKIN definition for classification of AKI (Acute kidney injury) Stages was used for the present study. All the results were analyzed by SPSS software.
Results: Total proteins level among dengue sero positive and negative subjects was found to be 7.01 and 7.89 g/dl. Significant results were obtained while comparing the total proteins levels among dengue positive and negative subjects. While comparing the albumin and globulin levels between dengue positive and negative subjects, significant results were obtained. Significant results were obtained while comparing the AST and ALT levels between both the study groups. 14.5 And 63.5 percent of the patients were AKI and AKIN- 1 AKI. Conclusions: Hepatic and renal involvement occurs in patients suffering from dengue fever.
Keywords: Dengue, Kidney Functional Test, Liver Functional Test
- World Health Organization. Dengue- guidelines for diagnosis, treatment, prevention and control. New Edition. Geneva: World Health Organization Publishers; 2009. p. 4-6.
- Itha S, Kashyap R, Krishnani N, Saraswat VA, Choudhuri G, Aggarwal R. Profile of liver involvement in dengue virus infection. Natl Med J India 2005;18:127-30.
- Souza LJ, Alves JG, Nogueira RM, Gicovate Neto C, Bastos DA, Siqueira EW, et al. Aminotransferase changes and acute hepatitis in patients with dengue fever: analysis of 1,585 cases. Braz J Infect Dis 2004;8:156-63.
- Mohan B, Patwari AK, Anand VK. Hepatic dysfunction in childhood dengue infection. J Trop Pediatr. 2000;46:40–43.
- Bhamarapravati N. Hemostatic defects in dengue hemorrhagic fever. Rev Infect Dis. 1989;11((Suppl 4)):S826–S829.
- Huerre MR, Lan NT, Marianneau P, Hue NB, Khun H, Hung NT, Khen NT, Drouet MT, Huong VT, Ha DQ, Buisson Y, Deubel V. Liver histopathology and biological correlates in five cases of fatal dengue fever in Vietnamese children. Virchows Arch. 2001;438:107–115
- Mehta RL, Kellum JA, Shah SV, et al. . Acute kidney injury network: report of an initiative to improve outcomes in acute kidney injury, Crit Care , 2007, vol. 11 pg. R31.
- Wichmann O, Hongsiriwon S, Bowonwatanuwong C, Chotivanich K, Sukthana Y, Pukrittayakamee S. Risk factors and clinical features associated with severe dengue infection in adults and children during the 2001 epidemic in Chonburi, Thailand. Trop Med Int Health. 2004;9:1022–1029.
- Wills BA, Nguyen MD, Ha TL, Dong TH, Tran TN, Le TT, Tran VD, Nguyen TH, Nguyen VC, Stepniewska K, White NJ, Farrar JJ. Comparison of three fluid solutions for resuscitation in dengue shock syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2005;353:877–889.
- Wills BA, Oragui EE, Stephens AC, Daramola OA, Dung NM, Loan HT, Chau NV, Chambers M, Stepniewska K, Farrar JJ, Levin M. Coagulation abnormalities in dengue hemorrhagic fever: serial investigations in 167 Vietnamese children with dengue shock syndrome. Clin Infect Dis. 2002;35:277–285.
- Carlos CC, Oishi K, Cinco MT, Mapua CA, Inoue S, Cruz DJ, Pancho MA, Tanig CZ, Matias RR, Morita K, Natividad FF, Igarashi A, Nagatake T. Comparison of clinical features and hematologic abnormalities between dengue fever and dengue hemorrhagic fever among children in the Philippines. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2005;73:435–440.
- Wills B, Tran VN, Nguyen TH, Truong TT, Tran TN, Nguyen MD, Tran VD, Nguyen VV, Dinh TT, Farrar J. Hemostatic changes in Vietnamese children with mild dengue correlate with the severity of vascular leakage rather than bleeding. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2009;81:638–644.
- Barreto DF, Takiya CM, Paes MV, Farias-Filho J, Pinhão AT, Alves AM. et al. Histopathological aspects of Dengue-2 virus infected mice tissues and complementary virus isolation. J Submicrosc Cytol Pathol. 2004;36(2):121–30.
- Boonpucknavig S, Vuttiviroj O, Boonpucknavig V. Infection of young adult mice with dengue virus type 2. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 1981;75(5):647–53.
- Futrakul P, Poshyachinda V, Mitrakul C, Kun-Anake C, Boonpucknavig V, Boompucknavig S. et al. Renal involvement and reticulo-endothelial-system clearance in dengue hemorrhagic fever. J Med Assoc Thai. 1973;56(1):33–9.
- Boonpucknavig V, Bhamarapravati N, Boonpucknavig S, Futrakul P, Tanpaichitr P. Glomerular changes in dengue hemorrhagic fever. Arch Pathol LabMed 1976; 100(4): 206–12.
- Gandhi K, Shetty M. Profile of liver function test in patients with dengue infection in South India. Med J DY Patil Univ 2013;6: 370-2.
- Muhammad AM, Sarwar KS, Chaudry MA, Maqbool B, Khalil Z, Tan J et al. Acute kidney injury in dengue virus infection. Clin Kidney J (2012) 5 (5): 390-394.