Tuberculosis of Gallbladder - A Case Report
January - March 2017 | Vol 3 | Issue 1 | Page : 16-17
Noora Saeed 1*, Shaista M. Vasenwala 2, Mohd Rafey 3, Saima Khan 3
1 Senior Resident, Department of Pathology, JNMC, AMU, Aligarh, India.
2Professor, Department of Pathology, JNMC, AMU, Aligarh, India.
3Junior Resident, Department of Pathology, JNMC, AMU, Aligarh, India.
How to cite this article: : Saeed N, Vasenwala SM, Rafey M, Khan S. Tuberculosis of Gallbladder - A Case Report. Int Arch BioMed Clin Res. 2017;3(1):16-17.DOI:10.21276/iabcr.2017.3.1.5
Gall bladder is considered a rare site for occurrence of tuberculosis and is usually found in association with gallstones or cystic duct obstruction. The diagnosis is very difficult prior to surgery unless there is strong suspicion of tuberculosis, with the confirmation being possible only after histopathological examination of gall bladder. Here we present a case of gall bladder tuberculosis in a 40-year-old female, who came with symptoms of chronic cholecystitis due to gallstones. Ultrasound of abdomen revealed a single gall stone located in the fundal region. The patient underwent laparoscopic cholecystectomy and was treated with anti-tubercular drugs.
Keywords: Gallbladder, Tuberculosis, cholecystitis.
- Bendre M, Rane N, Narwade N. Isolated tuberculosis of gallbladder: A case report. Indian Journal of Applied Research. 2014; 4(4): 439-440.
- Kapoor S, Sewkani A, Naik S,et al. Myriad presentations of gall bladder tuberculosis. Indian J Gastroenterol 2006;25:103-4.
- Kumar K, Ayub M, Kumar M,et al.Tuberculosis of the gallbladder. HPB Surg 2000;11: 401–404.
- Xu XF, Yu RS, Qiu LL, et al. Gallbladder Tuberculosis: CT findings with histopathologic correlation. Korean J Radiol 2011;12: 196–202.
- Abu-Zidan FM, Zayat I. Gallbladder tuberculosis (case report and review of the literature). Hepatogastroenterology 1999;46: 2804-2806.
- Duan JG, Liu CL, Chen Y. One case of gall bladder tuberculosis. Clin J Radiol 1992;26: 379-380.
- Jain R, Sawhney S, Bhargava D, et al. Gallbladder tuberculosis: sonographic appearance. J Clin Ultrasound 1995;23: 327-379.
- Yu R, Liu Y. Gallbladder tuberculosis: case report. Chin Med J 2002;115: 1259–1261.
- Essop AR, Posen JA, Hodkinson JH, Segal I. Tuberculosis hepatitis: A clinical review of 96 cases. Q J Med 1984;53: 465-477.
- Eroukhmanoff P, Bazelly B, Cohen-Solal JL, et al. Tuberculosis of the gallbladder: About one case with histological identification. Nouvelle Presse Medicale 1982;11: 3795-3796.
- Soufi M, Benamer S, Chad B. Pseudotumoral gallbladder tuberculosis. Rev Med Interne2011;32: e32–33.
- Kim SJ, Lee JM, Lee JY, Choi JY, et al. Accuracy of preoperative T-staging of gallbladder carcinoma using MDCT. AJR 2008;190: 74-80.
- El Malki HO, Benkabbou A, Mohsine R, et al. Gallbladder tuberculosis. Can J Surg 2006;49: 135-136.
- Tanwani R, Sharma D, Chandrakar SK. Tuberculosis of gall bladder without associated gallstones or cystic duct obstruction. Indian J Surg 2005;67: 45–46.
- Mukherjee S, Ghosh AK, Bhattacharya U. Tuberculosis of gallbladder – problem of diagnosis. Indian J Tub 2001;48: 151-152.